Written by Harold
- Published in Historical Facts
- Read 3729 times
- font size decrease font size increase font size
The Peace Issue consisted of nine denominations, each with a different design: 8¢, 10¢, 14¢, 20¢, 50¢, $1.00, 7¢(airmail), 17¢(air mail special delivery), 10¢ (special delivery).
Engraved by master engraver, Silas Robert Allen, the 10- cent denomination featured a view of Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories, where in 1930 Gilbert LaBine discovered pitchblende deposits, the source of radium and uranium.
Other stamps in the series included:
• 7 cents Air Mail: Canada Geese Near Sudbury, Ontario
• 8 cents: Canadian Farm Scene
• 10 cents Special Delivery: Canadian Coat of Arms
• 14 cents: Hydro-Electric Power Station on Saint Maurice River, Quebec
• 17 cents Air Mail Special Delivery: DC 4-M Airplane Flying over Quebec City
• 20 cents: Combined Reaper and Thresher, Canadian Prairies
• 50 cents: Felling Big Trees in British Columbia
• $1.00: New Train Ferry with fishing boat, Prince Edward Island
Just another little known, random tidbit of information about Great Bear that I bet you were just dying to know!